October 2014 Mid-Atlantic Vernal Pool Mapping Workshop
Mid-Atlantic Vernal Pool Mapping Workshop
featuring an introduction to the North Atlantic Vernal Pool Data Cooperative
Friday October 24, 2014 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Aquatic Resources Education Center
Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC)
4876 Haypoint Landing Road
To promote coordinated mapping of vernal pools in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Introduce the North Atlantic Vernal Pool Data Cooperative (VPDC), a regional effort to map known and potential vernal pool locations.
- Solicit feedback from potential VPDC participants on the development of vernal pool mapping resources.
- Present examples of successful statewide vernal pool mapping initiatives along with information on their relationship to environmental regulation.
- Facilitate information sharing and collaboration among vernal pool data owners.
- Visit local amphibian breeding sites, including seasonal pools and Carolina bays.
Who should attend?
This meeting will focus on the finer points of coordinated vernal pool mapping, including data compilation, geospatial modeling, and information exchange. It should be of interest to vernal pool specialists, wildlife and wetland management professionals, research scientists, and field biologists working for state and federal agencies, universities, environmental consulting firms, and non-governmental organizations. Owners and managers of vernal pool data sets are especially encouraged to participate.
Free Overnight Lodging
Rustic, bunkroom-style lodging is available at no cost for those arriving in Smyrna on October 23 at DNREC’s Mallard Lodge (photo at right). Mallard Lodge is located at 5128 Haypoint Landing Road. The facility offers free Wi-Fi and a landline (302-653-3441), with limited cell reception (if any). Lodgers must bring their own pillows, linens, blankets and/or a sleeping bag. Click here for other lodging alternatives in the area. Best Western is the nearest motel.
Please register before October 10 by sending your contact information and anticipated date / time of arrival to Dan Lambert (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Coordination and Funding
The Vermont Center for Ecostudies is coordinating the Vernal Pool Data Cooperative with funds from the North Atlantic Landscape Conservation Cooperative. The project’s advisors and collaborators include representatives from: Clemson University, High Branch Conservation Services, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, NatureServe, Siena College, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Paul Smith’s College, the University of Maine, and the University of Vermont.